About Benjamin Lute
Benjamin “Ben” Lute joined the Trent Cotney, P.A. team as an associate attorney in 2016. Ben’s practice areas encompass everything construction law, including contract review and drafting, contract negotiation, lien law, bond law, OSHA defense, building code violation defense, contractor licensing defense, construction defect litigation, and bid protest litigation. Ben also handles matters dealing with water law and other environmental issues.
Ben is a Polk County, Lakeland, Florida native. His mother ran her own print shop for nearly 20 years, while his uncles worked in everything from railroad construction to department store development. Ben, himself, spent years as a maintenance technician in Tallahassee, Florida, and spent his younger years doing everything from mowing lawns and detailing cars to selling firearms and fishing equipment.
Prior to joining Trent Cotney, P.A., Ben clerked for the attorneys at the Environmental Protection Commission of Hillsborough County, and before that, clerked for a renown Tampa environmental and land use law firm. While at Stetson University College of Law, Ben served as a Notes & Comments editor for Stetson Law Review, as the Articles editor for the Journal of International Wildlife Law and Policy, and worked as teaching assistant for numerous courses for the legendary Dean Bruce Jacob and Professor Lance Long.
Ben’s diverse employment background, experience, and passion for the construction industry is utilized daily in his representation of clients with Trent Cotney, P.A.
- Stetson University College of Law, J.D., cum laude, Certification of Concentration in Environmental Law
- Florida State University, B.S
- Environmental Protection Commission of Hillsborough County, 2015, Law Clerk
- Gramling Environmental Law, 2015, Law Clerk
- Stetson University College of Law, 2014–2016 Teaching Assistant
Honors and Activities
- Recipient of the Dean Richard Dillon Excellence in Real Property Award, 2016
- Two-time Recipient of the Dr. Dorothy E. “Dotti” Bressi Memorial Scholarship, 2015 & 2016
- Recipient of the Stetson Law Review Outstanding New Associate award, 2015
- Notes & Comments Editor, Stetson Law Review, 2015–2016
- Associate, Stetson Law Review, 2015
- Articles Editor, Journal of International Wildlife Law and Policy, 2015–2016
- Editor, Journal of International Wildlife Law and Policy, 2015
Publications & Presentations
- What Irrigation Contractors Need to Know About Medical Marijuana, Pipeline, Volume 16, Issue 1 (2017)
- Legal Update – What You Need to Know About the Clean Water Act (CWA), Pipeline, Vol. 15, Issue 4 (2017)
- OSHA Defense for the Construction Industry (2016) – Co-Author
- Drone Use in the Roofing Industry – What Roofers Need to Know, Presented July 25, 2017
- How Florida Lien Law Works for Irrigation Contractors, Presented Jan. 31, 2017
- Florida Bar
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
Associations and Memberships
- Florida Irrigation Society (FIS)
- Florida Roofing and Sheet Metal Contractors Association (FRSA)
- West Coast Roofing Contractors Association (WCRCA)
- Tri-County Roofing Contractors Association (TCRCA)
- Florida Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Contractors Association (FRACCA)