About David Keel
David Keel joined the team at Cotney Construction Law in November 2016. David’s practice areas include construction defect litigation, contract review and drafting, lien law, bond law, OSHA defense, contractor licensing defense, and building code violation defense.
David grew up in a small town in south Alabama where his father worked for an industrial air pollution construction company. While in college, David worked for an HVAC company as an installation technician. He installed HVAC equipment in large commercial buildings and in residential homes. Since moving to Tampa, Florida, David worked in the field as an independent contractor for a local construction company where he performed demolition, framing and drywall installation.
David began his legal career as a Deputy District Attorney for the Tenth Judicial Circuit of Alabama where he prosecuted misdemeanors and felonies. David continues to utilize his diverse work experience in his representation of clients with Cotney Construction Law
- Samford University Cumberland School of Law, J.D.
- Auburn University, B.S.
- Florida Bar (2014)
- Alabama Bar (2013)
- Jefferson County District Attorney’s Office 10th Judicial Circuit, Birmingham, Alabama, Deputy District Attorney, June 2014- August 2016
- Maynard, Cooper and Gale, P.C., Birmingham, Alabama, Contract Attorney, November 2013- January 2014
- Jefferson County Probate Court, Birmingham, Alabama, Law Clerk, June 2012 – August 2012
- Legal Services Alabama, Birmingham, Alabama, Law Clerk, June 2011 – August 2011
Honors and Activities
- 80% Tuition Merit Scholarship (Cumberland School of Law)
- Scholar of Merit Award – Negotiation
- Cumberland Public Interest & Community Service Organization – Fundraising Chairman
- Environmental Law Society
- Habitat for Humanity – Volunteer
- Senior Citizen Wills Clinic – Volunteer
- Financial Management Association Honor Society (Auburn University)
- Executive Society – Raymond J. Harbert College of Business Ambassador
- Rotary Scholarship Recipient
- National Science Foundation Scholarship Recipient
- Boy Scouts of America – Eagle Scout