About January Allen
January Allen is an AV rated attorney who excels in achieving favorable outcomes for clients in a timely and professional manner. With more than 14 years of transactional and litigation experience, January is adept at assisting clients with a broad variety of matters including construction defect, contract, trade secret/non-compete, insurance, environmental, product liability, employment, and cyber liability. January is also a licensed patent attorney with the United States Patent and Trademark Office, and is available to provide consultation on patent, trademark, and copyright issues. As an invested advocate, January works closely with each client to arrive at the appropriate legal solution.
- University of Hawai’i, William S. Richardson School of Law, J.D., 2005
- Recipient of scholarship for academic achievement
- Native American Moot Court, 2nd Place Nationally for Best Brief
- College of Charleston, B.S. Biology, with honors, 2000
- Golden Key Honors Society
- Cotney Construction Law, Denver, CO—January 2020 to present, Partner
- Overturf McGath & Hull, P.C., Denver, CO—February 2009 to December 2019, Partner
- Hanes & Schutz, LLC, Colorado Springs, CO—May 2005 to January 2009, Associate
- Martindale Hubbell AV Pre-eminent Peer Review Rating
- Colorado Super Lawyers, Construction Litigation, 2020
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- The United States District Court for the District of Colorado
- The United States District Court for the District of Wyoming
- The United States District Court for the District of New Mexico
- Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Smith v. Executive Custom Homes, 209 P.3d 1175 (Colo. App. 2009).
- Krueger v. Ary, 205 P.3d 1150 (Colo. 2009).
- Todd v. Montana Silversmiths, 379 F.Supp. 2d 1110 (D. Colo. 2005).
- Ceroni v. 4Front Engineered Solutions, Inc., 793 F.Supp.2d 1268 (D. Colo. 2011).
- Brown v. Berthoud Fire Protection Dist., 2013 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 166243 (D. Colo. 2013).
- Chamberlain v. Dunker, 2014 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 93866 (D. Colo. 2014).
- Nutritional Biomimetics, LLC v. Empirical Labs, Inc., 2017 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 60341 (D. Colo. 2017).
- The Ethics of Insuring Maryjane: An Update on Cannabis Law, Lloyd’s of London, 2019
- Product Malfunction Theory, Liberty International, 2019
- Lions & Tigers & Technology: LPL Risks Associated with the Use/Misuse of Technology, Professional Liability Defense Federation, 2019
- The Data Behind the Data: Use of Metadata in Litigation, National Retail and Restaurant Defense Association, 2019
- Cyber Competence 101, Nebraska Defense Federation (check), 2019
- Trademarks for Startups, Colorado Preferred Partners, 2018
- Intellectual Property Basics, Jeffco Innovators, 2016
- An Intellectual Property Toolbox for Inventors, Denver Indian Bureau 2014
- Post-Cyberattack Professional Duties: A Review of ABA Formal Ethics Opinion 483 and a Recent Colorado Malpractice Suit, Professional Liability Defense Federation Quarterly, Spring 2019
- Bits and Bytes: Cyber Case Law Review, Professional Liability Defense Federation Quarterly, Fall 2018
- Cybersecurity Breaches Involving Personal Identifying Information: Survey of State Notification Laws, Professional Liability Defense Federation Quarterly, Spring 2018
Selected Professional and Civic Activities
- Former Board Member, Colorado Defense Lawyers Association
- Chair, Trial Academy
- Former Board Member, Professional Liability Defense Federation
- Colorado Bar Association
- Denver Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Association
- Habitat for Humanity