About Trent Cotney
Alston Merritt joined Cotney Construction Law in 2018. Her practice involves various areas of construction law, contract law, and insurance litigation.
Alston has been involved in the construction industry her whole life as her father is a mechanical engineer. Prior to joining Cotney Construction Law, she worked at a construction company that focused on commercial and multi-family construction. Her role entailed drafting and reviewing contracts, subcontractor agreements, and memos all while learning the ins and outs of the industry.
Alston also worked in insurance litigation and various areas of civil litigation. While in law school, she was inspired to give back to the legal community through her work at a child advocacy clinic as a Guardian ad Litem.
- Wake Forest University School of Law, J.D.
- University of Georgia, B.A., magna cum laude
- Cotney Construction Law, Tampa, FL, December 2018 – Present, Associate Attorney
- Whitestone Construction Group, LLC, Tampa, FL, February 2018 – December 2018, Law Clerk
- Traub, Lieberman, Straus & Shrewsberry, St. Petersburg, FL, October 2017 – February 2018, Law Clerk
- Children’s Law Center of North Carolina, Winston-Salem, NC, January 2017 – May 2017, Student Attorney
- Kilpatrick, Townsend and Stockton, LLP, Winston-Salem, NC, January 2017 – May 2017, Student Advocate
- C. DeGabrielle Simmons Law Firm, PLLC, Nags Head, NC, May 2016 – August 2016, Summer Associate
- The State of Florida